an·thro·pol·o·gy

noun \ˌan(t)-thrə-ˈpä-lə-jē\
1. The scientific study of the origin, the behavior, and the physical, social, and cultural development of humans.

2. That part of Christian theology concerning the genesis, nature, and future of humans, especially as contrasted with the nature of God

Saturday, April 7, 2012

So Strong: An Ode to a Mother; I Took Step One

These are poems written by boys who had the roughest of blows dealt to them, that eventually led to juvenile delinquent centers. A man named Don Smarto went to their prisons and taught them poetry.

They are people. They are just like us. They are unfinalizable, redeemable, incredible human beings. They wrote poetry.

So Strong--

My Mother
I love her so

I apologize
I really do
The love
Well, stronger than me and you

I miss her so
Three years gone
More time uncounted
Such a bad son

I wish I could make things better
But how?
I cried
I lied
I hurt her so
Constant pain since my birth

A lady so beautiful
So filled with love
My Mother, so strong

-Scott, 18.


I Took Step One--

I took Step One, began to moan
I can't do this one on my own.
I took Step Two, began to pray
Restore me God, please now, today.

I took Step Three, gave up my will
Maybe God could love me still.
I took a Fourth, I looked inside
Nothing more would I hide.

And on the Fifth, I said aloud
I've done some wrong, and I'm not proud.
I took Step Six, and got prepared
To lose the defects, I was scared.

Now I'm at Seven, take them away
My God, for this I do pray.
And on Eight, the list was long
Amends to make for all the wrongs.

I took Step Nine, put down my pride
Amends made, I will not hide.
Step Ten I take, each day I pray
I make amends along the way.

And on Eleven I pray to know
Each day His Will, which way to go.
I take Step Twelve, I'm like a bird
To others now, I spread His Word....

-Juan, 16.

1 comment:

  1. I wanna meet Juan & Scott. They seem to understand that life and love are hard but that love always wins over the bad stuff.

    ReplyDelete